Hello Nail Divas! This is going to be a bit of a weird post - I've been nominated for the Liebster award twice - so I'm going to do it all at once! Natasha does Nails and Lozza Nailed It both Nominated me, and I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart (and nail polish bottles) :) It means a lot! Also they are both great bloggers, so PLEASE go check out their sites!
First off - what is the Liebster award? It is an award that is awarded to new, up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers who deserve recognition and support to keep blogging. The word Liebster is a German word that means dearest, sweetest, nicest, kindest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
And as any good award does, it comes with some rules:
1. Each person nominated must post 11 things about themselves.
2. They must answer 11 questions assigned by the person who nominated them.
3. They must choose 11 new bloggers with <200 followers and tag them in their post
4. They must create 11 new questions to ask the bloggers in #3
5. The bloggers must be told that they've been nominated
6. No tag backs :)
So... here we go! 11 Random things about me:
1. Not only am I a licensed nail tech, but I'm also a Wildlife Biologist with a Bachelors Degree from Penn State Universty.
2. I'm only 4'10", which makes me legally a midget even though I really don't look like one - but everyone loves that they're taller than me.
3. I have an addiction to nail sculpting - I'd rather sculpt pretty nails from gel and acrylic with embedded colors and glitter than paint them with nailpolish any day.
4. I lived in Hawaii for a year
5. Now I spend my time split between Florida, Pennsylvania, and the Gulf of Mexico.
6. I have over 800 days spent at sea.
7. In 2009 I was in a helicopter crash in Nigeria - no im not joking, and yes everyone was okay
8. I believe in living life to the fullest, taking chances, and being crazy.
9. I was the "manager" of my Cosmetology class, as well as President of the Cosmetology club.
10. I was licensed to do nails at age 17 and hair at age 18.
11. I placed 3rd in a nail art competition between Western PA's Vocational schools only 6 months after I began doing nails.
Okay - Now onto the questions I was asked (I'm going to do both Natasha does nails and Lozza Nailed It Questions)
First : Lozza Nailed It Questions
1. What is your favorite nail art design that you've ever created?
Im a huge fan of my Halloween paisley design that I created last year - I'll be doing a full set of it this year and will be posting it soon.
2. What is your go-to nailpolish at the moment?
Fingerpaint's sparkle top coat - I tend to wear sheer colors on my nails because they sometimes don't get filled for 5 weeks while im out on the ship.
3. What is your biggest pet peeve/hate when it comes to nail art?
I'm not a huge fan of designs with too much going on. If its just a bunch of lines and colors, i usually hate them. And i also don't like people who don't take care of their cuticles - If you have bad cuticles, I wont follow your blog because it bothers me!
4. How much did your most expensive nail polish cost?
For Nfu Oh 51, I paid $12... and i'd probably never do it again, but i do love that polish.
5. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because I had left the nail industry for a couple years when I started working offshore on trips. Long story short, I simply missed it - and one day plan to open up my own salon when I get sick of being out to sea all the time. I figured it was best to be prepared. Little Lady Luxury (my url) is going to be the name of my salon.
6. Do you ever feel guilty about the nailpolish you own?
Yes and No. I always tell myself that I'm investing in my future salon... so my spending is justified, but I do feel guilty. I'm not a huge girly girl - but owning several hundred nail polishes definitely negates that fact.
7. Do you hate Hard to Find polishes?
Sometimes I see a swatch on someones blog and fall in love with it, and then can't find it to buy, and yes that drives me nuts. Like the clarin's nailpolish that everyone has dubbed "unicorn pee" - its like $67 on ebay - and im not spending that much on a bottle of nailpolish, not even if it was made of pure liquid platinum. No way!
8. Have you been nominated for a blog award before?
Nope! Just this one twice :) Which is super cool!
9. Do you have any new tips for bloggers?
Network- comment on other blogs, email people, and post on your facebook, twitter, and pinterest. The more you share, the more followers you'll get. A few give-aways doesn't hurt either. But most importantly, just have fun - Blogging shouldn't be work.
10. What is your favorite fashion trend at the moment?
Its fall - so I'm really loving all the burgundy and burnt orange colors. I can't wait to do some glitter nails to match all the cute clothes :)
11. Do you have a nailpolish in your collection that you've never used? If so- name it!
Um.... I have tons. How horrible is that? And I'm stuck at sea, so I can't even go through my collection and name a few. I tend to buy polish in seasonal sets... so I have tons that I just never get to. And like I said, im a sheer girl on my finger tips, so I really only do crazy nailpolish on my toes. I do know I have OPI's neons sitting at home just calling my name. *insert spooky voice*"MEEEGAN! USE ME!"
The 2nd set: Natasha Does Nails Questions:
1. What holiday is your favorite?
Halloween, hands down. I love everything about it!
2. If you could switch lives with anyone, who would it be?
Tough questions.... and honestly, I don't think I'd switch with anyone. I like my life! But if you twist my arm - Nina Dobrev, Hello Vampire Diaries! I would play with Stephan and Damon all day.
3. Breakfast lunch or dinner?
Breakfast for dinner :) French toast for sure!
4. Describe yourself in one word:
Pirate (the Johnny Depp kind, not the Somalia kind)
5. Spring, summer, fall or winter? and why?
Fall - Because I like fireplaces, hot chocolate, boots, changing leaves, bonfires, and pumpkin beer. Not too hot, not too cold. What's not to love? Oh and did I mention Holiday sets come out in the Fall? YES!
6. Team Edward or Team Jacob?
Meh... Team True Blood - Don't get me wrong, I like Twilight, but I dont swoon over the movie characters. But if we're talking in the book, I'm team Edward
7. If you could live in any era, what era would it be?
the 20's. Flappers and classy music all the way.
8. What is something you could (or do) eat every day?
Fruit smoothies - i Looooooove them!
9. Do you prefer snow or rain?
Snow - its pretty and not so messy (at first)
10. Mani Pedi- do they need to match or do you switch it up?
I like matching mani pedis, but I don't think its necessary. Pedi's can last up to a month, and who wants their nails to look the same that long? Not me!
11. How long have you been blogging?
Just over a year :) With a few gaps due to some really really long, really close together deployments to sea without my nailpolish :(
Okay okay, thats WAY more than enough about me. So here are the Blogs that I'm Nominating! (and sorry i cheated, one has just over 200 followers... but i had a hard time finding 11 good blogs to nominate with LESS than 200 followers)
The Polished Mommy
One Nail to Rule them All
Tales of Knit and Nails
Crafts After College
Dressed up Nails
365 Days of Nails
Nail Craze with Dayze
Tough as Nails Lacquer
Alright, thats it for the nominees!
Now on to their questions to answer - Nominees, pay attention! :)
1. How long have you been blogging?
2. What is it that draws you to nail art/nails -aka why do you like doing nails so much?
3. What is your favorite season and why? (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer)
4. What is your absolute favorite food?
5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
6. If you could request to meet one person ever, who would it be?
7. What is your favorite nailpolish color?
8. Do you wear "fake" nails at all or are your nails natural?
9. Do you ever feel bad about how much nailpolish/nail products you own?
10. How much time a week do you spend on nails?
11. What is your favorite holiday to do nail art for?
Wow, now that was a seriously long post. Thanks to anyone who actually read to the bottom, i know it was a lot. It was a serious honor to be nominated not once but twice - sorry it took so long for me to get to posting this!
<3 Diva Pirate